Paradigm Shift on Teaching and Student Success--Whose responsibility is it anyway?

 Faculty in the University System of Georgia are now evaluated on the category (ambiguity realized) of STUDENT SUCCESS. 

The underlying message is: Student Success is the faculty member's responsbility. 

I argue it is not. It is joint. We can all improve our teaching. I am a major advocate of that. I recommend TILT, Universal Design, and Quality Matters for online courses every chance I get. 

We cannot give the students wake up calls to attend class.  

I fear we have shifted all the responsibility to the wrong side. 

So I was refreshed to read this at Piedmont University a couple of days ago. I was there for the Georgia Communication Association Conference. Piedmont were wonderful hosts, and it is a beautiful campus. 

Now, I admit, this comes from something called the Porcelain Press. You can figure that one out on your own. 

Tips for Success:  Introduce yourself to your professors the first week of class! Possible Introductions:

  • Tell them one thing you are looking forward to learning in their class. 
  • Ask about any questions you have from the syllabus.
  • Talk to them about any planned days you might be absent. 
  • Ask how their winter break was. 

Never have I seen such a thing--nudging the student toward adult behavior and taking responsibility for the faculty-student relationship and their own success!

Kudos, Piedmont!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on Reflection in Learning

The LAST Word on Learning Styles

Lessons in Leadership Failure