The End of Another Semester

 My teaching was far less frustrating this term. I speak specifically of the first-year-experience course I taught (two f2f sections and one online). That is not to say the pass rates were good. They were not, but I cannot blame myself in any way. I was attentive, organized, reasonable in the demands of the class, supportive, prepared, and, well, happy. I posted weekly videos for the online class. I had lots of class activities. 

My two basic speech classes, same thing. I do believe, after all these years, I will back off a bit, though. Wait until the fourth meeting to have a speech, rather than the third. Wait until the fifth week for the first major outlined speech, not the fourth. Drop a small assignment.  

The online business communication just went through an update to prepare it for summer school's shorter session, and I hope it works. There is no end to improvements to classes. 

Online is all about structure, engagement, and presence, and about a deep time investment in design. The pandemic sent a lot of professors online who had poo-pooed it before, and they have not gotten the training to do it right. I wonder if all the work we did was forgotten because of the influx of those who figured "why not, I don't have to be on campus as much" versus those who got into it for the good of the students. 

That's harsh.  Sorry, not sorry. But Tucker's Law, "If someone can find a way to misunderstand you, they will" is rampant in online, and there must be a lot of time and effort spent in keeping that from happening. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on Reflection in Learning

The LAST Word on Learning Styles

Lessons in Leadership Failure