QEP Journey, Part II

The QEP is a group effort, and I am not sure we have explored that in the literature. SACS tells you what the QEP is supposed to look like. It doesn't tell you how to get there. That is done through messy group processes. 

My first QEP was a dream in this regard because the group working on it was homogeneous. Pretty much the same discipline, pretty much all faculty. At that time the QEPs (post recession) were being scaled down and ours was very focused. 

Now we're back to bigger scale and "student success" orientation rather than just student learning outcomes. My group is diverse--faculty and student affairs staff and students. It's just been....different. I say that because the last meeting was a bit of an ambush on me by four of the members, but the rest I think were surprised by that. Like I say, group processes are messy. I won't get into my personal feelings, etc., but I'm working through it with the help of my supervisor, who was there and able to understand these dynamics. 

My point in this painful experience is that knowing what a good QEP looks like and does is only part of the problem. The getting there through collaborative efforts with people is another, quite different, matter. I would appreciate any comments here. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on Reflection in Learning

The LAST Word on Learning Styles

Lessons in Leadership Failure