A New Theatrical Experience - The Vagina Monologues

Well. In recognition of Domestic Violence Month, some of my communication faculty got together and performed readings of The Vagina Monologues. As the chair, I was obligated to go, but it was a profitable, if not enjoyable experience.

It caused me to go watch some of them on YouTube actually performed by Eve Ensler. I have since learned performing these pieces is an annual event at many colleges and universities.

I found them . . . .let's just say, raw. I cringed a lot, although I also laughed against my will, especially at the angry vagina one.  It was performed in a very dry manner by an older faculty member and the foul language was incongruous to her. But there's a difference between laughing because it's shocking and laughing because it's funny (it was both).

The one about rape victims in Bosnia had the most impact. Rape as a weapon of war is so prevalent, and the most recent recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize is a doctor who works with these victims, since their lives and bodies are so destroyed.

That's why I have trouble with a woman saying that a comment about her butt looking good is a form of rape. However, I add this later, it is still a form of violation.

So, I got an education on how other women outside of my world view see their reproductive organs! I needed it, no matter how uncomfortable it made me feel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on Reflection in Learning

The LAST Word on Learning Styles

Lessons in Leadership Failure