Addendum: I revisited this post on July 28, 2016, edited it, appalled by the number of typos. Sometimes I wonder if having an academic career is detrimental to being a Spirit-led disciple of Jesus Christ. I present, as an academic would (especially one who was a debate coach for several years), the arguments. 1. In a career in academia, we must be merit mongers. In order to achieve tenure and promotion, the only two big monetary awards outside of the move to administration, or to be eligible for grants and awards, one’s accomplishments in all things teaching, service, research, and professional development must be documented, recorded, and broadcast. Volunteerism for the institution is not valuable for it own sake, but for expanding the CV, or at least, one starts to feel that way. One begins to question one’s motives. Of course, one could leave things off the CV, but . . . their absence may mean the difference in ...
Comments
Post a Comment