Student Priorities

On a lark, I went to this website:
http://howmuchdotattooscost.com/

Oh, my.  I had no idea tattoos were that expensive. 

Am I the only one who wants to have this conversation?

Student:  Mrs. Tucker, I don't have a textbook.  What book do we need.
Me:  It's the fifth week of the semester.  It's on the syllabus.  How have you gotten this far into the semester without a book.
Student:  I didn't have the money.
Me:  How much did you pay for that tattoo?
Student:  $700.
Me:  And you can't afford textbooks?

Granted, textbooks are expensive, often ridiculously.  But so are the tattoos.

I learned a long time ago that for most people in this country, money and affording are a matter of priorities.  I had a coworker who complained about $80.00 for taking her child to the doctor and getting a prescription but had no problem with spending $1000 for fancy office furniture that she didn't need.  People on food stamps have smartphones. 

So, it follows that students have the same values. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on Reflection in Learning

The LAST Word on Learning Styles

Lessons in Leadership Failure