The downside of tenure

I am tenured so I can complain about it.

The adage, "The reason the fights in academia are so bitter is because the stakes are so low" is one of my favorites.

I have been embroiled in one that hinged on a few hundred dollars a year in pay. I would have gladly paid that to not have lost all this sleep.

Tenure is a good thing--I'm not giving mine up--but it has unintended consequences. It means faculty are disincentivized. We know that a lot of faculty "rest" (euphemism) after getting it. We also know, but don't want to admit it, that tenure discourages faculty from looking elsewhere even when doing so would be a good thing, because they don't want to go through tenure again (it can be hellacious and risky).

And because faculty are discouraged from leaving, they stay. They have institutional memory. A good thing, but also the grounds for long-standing grudges and bitterness over really small things to fester and become the reason for payback.

I'm seeing that.  Not pretty. And nothing you can actually prove. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on Reflection in Learning

The LAST Word on Learning Styles

Lessons in Leadership Failure