When to Retire?

People tell me I will know when it is time to retire. 

I think I know it's time--almost. 

Retiring for me does not mean filling out the paperwork and walking away. I am so deeply entrenched in so many things that I have to spend a year untying knots in those ropes that bind me to the institution and responsibilities and others.  

But I have informed my supervisor that I will relinquish my chair duties on a specific date. Whether I remain for a while to teach is not decided. 

I have worked in higher education since January of 1978, so "I've done my time." And there are other matters 

1. The constant change, sometimes seemingly just for the sake of change, is stifling. This semester we are dealing with a new faculty evaluation system, new core curriculum, new assessment procedures, and new hiring/HR policies. We also have to vacate our building, completely, for a period of renovation, and relocate, and oh, yes, teach and serve and do research/professional development and in my case run a department. I am breathless.  

2. The students in an access institution, and perhaps elsewhere, require so much more attention, bandwidth, emotional investment, and class preparation because of their emotional health issues and educational deficiencies.  Jean Twenge, the expert in this, says that they are emotionally about 15 years old. Yes, they are.  Not all--some are super people, but enough are undergoing mental and emotional health struggles that they can sap everything. The only benefit--we don't deal with their parents!

3. These situations have made collegial relationships harder. 

I do not think I am alone, although I am overcommitted. Most important for me, our grandchild is coming! I have a responsibility to her, more than to the other ties that bind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on Reflection in Learning

The LAST Word on Learning Styles

Lessons in Leadership Failure